How are you all doing? How is 2015 treating you? What are some of your New Years Resolutions?
I
am doing great! I've had a pretty good week. My New Year's day was
pretty relaxed. Sister Villanueva kinked her neck pretty bad, so we
didn't go out teaching. She mostly rested and recovered while I cleaned
the house, did laundry, and read a good majority of the Doctrine and
Covenants. Missionaries don't get days off! It was pretty great! It was
also my turn to cook dinner. Seeing that I don't know how to cook
filippino food, I settled with an American favorite; Grilled Cheese.
None of my roommates are American. We've got two filippino sisters, and
one from kerabati (pronounced curibus), so it was pretty cool to see
them eat their first grilled cheese. It was authentic American grilled
cheeses-down to the kraft brand slices. Way fun!
I also got
the chance to eat Balut. Balut is a duck egg that has a
partially-developed duckling inside. It is then hard-boiled and you eat
it, like the whole thing. partially-developed duck embryo and all. and
yes, it is as gross as it sounds... The yolk tastes pretty close to a
regular chicken egg though. Not to bad. That was my cauayan mission
initiation. Anyways, my companion, sister V doesn't really like Balut,
but she told me that if I ate it, that she would too. It's a good thing I
don't speak Tagalog very well yet, because as she was buying it, she
bought a regular egg and a Balut egg. Knowing that I would be passive
and let her choose which egg to eat, she chose the regular egg and
laughed as I ate the Balut. Trickery at it's finest... :)
Other
than my Balut experience it has been a good week. We have a new
investigator! Which is exciting and a bunch of investigators and less
active ward members who are attending church. I am so excited for them
and for the progress that they are making! It's great to help them
change their lives. We are looking forward to a baptism on January 17th. I'm way excited for him.
For
this New Year I am trying to be more Faithful and Obedient. It is
really hard for me to talk in Tagalog, but everyone is so supportive and
encouraging me when I do speak to them. It is pretty neat. They also
love too feed us, and would take it as an insult if we didn't eat their
food. We often have at least three lunches and two dinners, and all the
Coke we could ever dream of. I love the Philippines, but I'm going to
have to start dieting soon! ;)
Love,
No comments:
Post a Comment