Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Cauayan, Philippines Mission

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Conversion Story

I'll be quite honest here, nothing extraordinary happened this week. I have been getting over pink eye and getting out to work again. We had some great lessons, but there is something else I'd like to share this week for all of my friends and family: My conversion story.
Last Sunday, we had a surprise visit from President and Sister Rahlf, who spoke to us in sacrament meeting. I love hearing the Rahlfs speak in church. They speak with such power and conviction for the gospel. The topic they chose to speak about was conversion. Sister Rahlf spoke first about what the gospel means for us, and then President Rahlf spoke about his own personal conversion to the gospel. In his concluding remarks, President Rahlf asked us to share our conversion story to someone this week. I decided, what better way to share my story than with all of my friends and family.
Throughout my life, I have always tried to do what I thought was right. I was baptized when I was eight years old and attended enough of Primary to know what was right. I have always stayed relatively close to the gospel. I read the scriptures, prayed, and went to church every now and again, but I didn't make a serious effort to do them regularly. I tried my best to be a good example to those around me and have been blessed immensely, even though I was not truly converted-just trying to do the right thing. I had considered serving a mission while I was in seminary, but not seriously. I don't know when it was that I officially decided that I wanted to serve a mission. I was pushed in that direction, but the Lord waited for me to make that decision for myself. I learned a lot here in the mission about the gospel, about myself, and about serving others. My conversion is a continual process of trying to be a little better everyday.
Just like anyone else's conversion, it starts with a desire to do what is right. The desire is the first step to obtaining a lasting conversion. After you have the desire, you must study it out and pray for understanding. In the learning process, you will discover what it is that you are searching for. You must read the Book of Mormon, and other scriptures and attend your church meetings. You will discover what is right and how to do the right things. Always pray for the Holy Ghost to confirm the things that you have studied are true, and to fill you with light. This is the beginning of a testimony. You must "experiment upon the word," and continually "feast upon the words of Christ," and you will have conversion.
Thank you for all of your support and prayers,
Love,
Sister Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment